There are endless options when it comes to choosing what, and where, you want to eat. But next time you’re deciding, be sure to consider all the benefits that local foods have to offer. Here are 6 benefits to choosing local foods:
- Local foods are fresher. Fruits and vegetables begin to lose nutrients as soon as they are picked. Buying local produce cuts down on travel time from farm to table, thereby preserving more nutrients for you.
- Local foods are seasonal. It would be great to have fresh tomatoes and berries all year round, but eating seasonally means avoiding artificial ripening with gases. Eating seasonally results in the most delicious and nutrient-dense produce.
- Local foods are better for the environment. Some foods are shipped literally thousands of miles; that is a big carbon footprint that could be avoided by purchasing local and seasonal foods.
- Local foods promote food safety. Less distance between your food’s source and your kitchen table leaves less of a chance of contamination.
- Local foods promote variety. Local foods create a greater variety of foods. Farmers who run CSA (community-supported agriculture) programs, sell at farmers markets, and provide food to local restaurants have the demand and the economic support for raising more types of produce and livestock.
- Local foods support your local economy. Money spent locally stays local. Purchasing locally builds your local economy instead of handing over the earnings to a corporation in another city, state, or country. Also, since the food itself moves through less hands, more of the money you spend will end up in the pockets of those raising and growing those foods.
So next time you’re thinking of what or where to eat, keep these benefits in mind. And while you’re at it, head over to our shop to browse our locally grown and raised products, and see if you qualify for FREE HOME DELIVERY!