- (4 oz) Chicken feet (optional)
- (1) Yellow onion, quartered
- (2) Carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- (4 stalks) Celery, washed and cut into thirds
- (1) Leek, washed and cut into thirds
- (1/2 head) Garlic, cloves separated (skin on is okay)
- (2 Tbsp) Kosher salt
- (1/2 tsp) Black peppercorns
- (1 oz) Dill, stem and all
- (1 gallon) Cold water
- (1) 3.5-4.5lb, Whole Chicken
1. Cut chicken in half through backbone
2. In a medium-sized pot layer your ingredients:
- Start with chicken and chicken feet (if using) on the bottom of the pot
- Add onion, carrots, celery, leek, and garlic
- Season with salt, and peppercorns, and lay the dill on top of everything
- Cover with water
3. Over high heat bring everything to a boil. Once the broth has come to a boil, lower temperature to low until small bubbles lazily rise to the surface.
4. Simmer the chicken brother on low heat for 4 hours. No need to skim the grey foam that rises to the surface - this is full of nutrients! If you want a clear, golden chicken broth go ahead and skin the foam and discard.
5. After 4 hours, strain the chicken broth through a sieve. Discard the vegetables. You may save the chicken and when cool pick the meat - this meat is great for chicken salad or adding the chicken broth is desired.
6. Check the chicken broth for salt and adjust seasoning as desired.
7. Serve immediately.